CDT Links

Let's Talk Hiking Gear


An entire room in our house is dedicated to hiking the Continental Divide Trail. We lovingly and with reverence call it "the hiking room." Imagine a closet neatly organized with clothes and gear. Three six foot tables setup to sort, organize and pack five months of food and supplies. Walls adorned with maps, my hiking itinerary and resupply plans. Under one table is a stack of six pairs of new trail running shoes and a dozen pairs of hiking socks that I will wear over the length of the trail.

You can check out my complete gear list here: lighterpack.com. My base weight of 12.64 pounds does not include my hiking clothes (worn) and 1.43 pounds of consumables such as cooking fuel and sunscreen, which will be replenished as needed. I carry approximately two pounds of food per day and each liter of water weighs 2.2 pounds. My total pack weight for 5 days with 3 liters of water would weigh approximately 31 pounds. That's the heaviest I hope my pack will ever be!

For those who enjoy numbers, here are two more:  I estimate I will carry over 850 pounds of water and 350 pounds of food over the length of the Continental Divide Trail! 

Comments