- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
This is the border monument and the beginning of the Continental Divide Trail looking in the general direction I'll be hiking for the next five months! This is a 360 degree image that can be rotated. Check out the border fence with Mexico facing the opposite direction. (How cool is that?)
I am taking the shuttle provided by the Continental Divide Trail Coalition. By shuttle I mean a dirty, high clearance, 4 wheel drive vehicle. The shuttle capacity is 9 and according to the booking web page, the shuttle for today is full. Along with getting hikers to the border via an poorly maintained dirt road, the shuttle also restocks five water caches between the border and Lordsburg. There is no natural water near the trail for the first 85 miles, so these water caches are vital for hikers.
The shuttle leaves the motel at 6:30 AM and I should arrive at the border at 10 AM with my fellow hikers. My goal today is to hike to the first water cache at 14.1 miles, take a short afternoon break, leave with 4 liters and camp around mile 16. I should have some good company to hike with for the first day. It's always exciting to meet other hikers!
The shuttle leaves the motel at 6:30 AM and I should arrive at the border at 10 AM with my fellow hikers. My goal today is to hike to the first water cache at 14.1 miles, take a short afternoon break, leave with 4 liters and camp around mile 16. I should have some good company to hike with for the first day. It's always exciting to meet other hikers!
Today at 10:30 AM the countdown clock on my website will begin counting "up" and track the number of days I am on trail. I won't have cell service for the a few days, so don't expect an update until I reach Lordsburg, New Mexico for my first resupply. When will I reach Lordsburg you ask? Here is a link to my itinerary. Feel free to print it, post it on your fridge and pray for me every day! Thanks for following along.
Let the hiking begin!
Loren aka Butter Fingers
Comments