CDT Links

LET THE HIKING BEGIN



Monday, April 25

What am I doing? I thought to myself while the shuttle driver made jokes about how bumpy the ride is to the border. I've make this trip to the border twice before and I'm questioning my decision to start at the border again. There is something about thru-hiking the CDT in one year that appeals to me, but at this moment I'm questioning my sanity. Even with seatbelts, we have a hard time staying in our seats as the king cab truck lurches along a poorly maintained dirt road. 


We reach the border at 10:04 AM and a flurry of monument photos ensues. After a final group photo, we say goodbye to the drivers and 11 hikers stand around awkwardly waiting for someone to go first. Finally, two young couples shoulder their packs and quickly disappear on the horizon. Another hiker follows, and I go next. My Continental Divide Trail hike began at 10:19 AM on a bright, warm and windy day. 

The familiarity of the trail is comforting and as I walk, the doubts I had on the drive to the border fade. I think about my wife and am thankful for her support of my hiking addiction. I think about my mom who is recovering from knee surgery and pray for a speedy recovery. I think about my daughters and the possibility or meeting one of them in Colorado. I think about the support of my church family at Saint Matthias Anglican Church, and the many people commenting on my blog. I am blessed to be here and look forward to an exciting hike. I find some shade around noon and stop for a snack. Around 4:00 PM, I reach the first water cache at 14 miles and take 4 liters for dinner, breakfast, and the hike to the next water cache at mile 26. I find a nice spot to camp at mile 18 and after setting up my tent, I watch the sunset as I eat dinner in silence. It's been a great first day on the CDT! 



Thursday , April 26

I wake up to the the sun peaking over the horizon and quickly eat, pack, and am hiking by 7:18 AM. I expect it to be in the 80's today so I am anxious to get moving before the heat of the day. I reach the second water cache before noon and take three liters; enough water for the 14 miles to the next water source: a well that feeds a muddy cow pond. Shortly after lunch, I met a hiker going south. He started his CDT hike at Lordsburg and would take the shuttle back to Lordsburg after reaching the border. (The shuttle was full the day he wanted to start.)



I reach the well around 5:30 and the cows welcome me to join them. The well is on a timer so lucky hikers get water from the pipe that feeds the pond and  the rest get to drink from a trough that feeds the pond. Today I am lucky...while cooking dinner, the pump turns on and I rush to retrieve 4 liters from the pipe. After dinner, I decide to hike a mile to distance myself from the cows and dung. I camp near the trail and enjoy another quiet night. 


Comments

Judy said…
Hey Loren. Larry and I have finally accessed your blog. You make us feel that we are right along with you. Love the narrative. And send you lots of love and prayers for a fantastic journey. Judy
Anonymous said…
Hi Loren - been thinking about you and praying for you. I look forward to reading your posts and seeing your beautiful pics. Many blessings for safe hiking.

Denise Hughes
Anonymous said…
It's exhilarating to follow you on the trail again and many prayers accompany you each day. Halfway's blog was a hoot - think it should be entitled "Hiking the CDT while drunk/hungover". You can tell he's a young'un. I also enjoyed Mac's journals on the bikehikesafari.com website.May your path be filled with God's Peace always, Anne
Unknown said…
Congrats, Butterfingers on a solid start! We’re looking forward to following your journey this year!
Ouzel & Thistle