CDT Links

A GOOD DAY TO BE ALIVE!

100 Miles!

Tuesday, May 1

I woke up at 6:00 AM and weighed my options: lie in bed another day or get up and hike. I took a quick shower and decided I felt good enough to hike, so I set a modest goal: 15 miles. This would get me to the first water source AND to the 100 mile mark on the CDT! I stopped at McDonalds on the way out of town and after two breakfast sandwiches, an orange juice, and the hot tea I brought from the motel, I was on my way to Silver City!

Apparently, the beef is in New Mexico!

The hike began with a 3 mile paved road walk, followed by 7 miles across a flat and featureless landscape. There was almost no trail and few signs, so I picked a mountain on the horizon as a reference point and just walked. Eventually, I reached a fence and found the “C Gate.” I’m guessing ranchers install these so hikers don’t destroy the fence in an attempt to go over or under it, but it’s definitely not hiker friendly to use barbed wire and make the opening so narrow you end up ripping your clothing.

Ouch!

Past this fence is a proper gate and a sandy dirt road where the climbing began. I was feeling great at the 100 mile mark and had plenty of water so I kept hiking to the next water source: a solar well 3 miles later. Thankfully I was able to get water from the well tap because the cow trough was nasty (see below). If the solar panels aren’t getting enough sun, the pump turns off and the tap is dry. I hiked past a summer cottage with rustic construction, an open floor plan, and lots of natural light, and eventually camped at mile 23. A pretty good day considering I thought I was dying two days earlier. (I’m such a baby when I’m sick.)

Straight From The Well
The Next Best Option

A Rustic Summer Cabin
Open Floor Plan with Natural Lighting

For additional content, check out Flickr for images, YouTube for video, SoundCloud for audio, and the Postholer Map with my most recent location.

Thanks for following along!

Comments

Unknown said…
I literally laughed out loud when I saw the pics of the rustic cabin with natural lighting and an open floor plan. I love it when people make me “lol.” Hike on Loren!
Anonymous said…
Just as long as the summer open floor cottage doesn't have critters in it, it looks like a nice place to take a break. Maybe. Enjoyed your post.

Denise Hughes
Eva Mauch said…
I think that cabin is actually a step down from your tent. I'd stick with the tent if I were you. :) Just a few more miles until you are close enough for a pick up right outside of Albuquerque. Can't wait!
Unknown said…
I agree with Eva!! Your tent is definitely a few steps up. Glad you are feeling better and back on the trail.
Anonymous said…
We're all thankful that those sinus prayers did the trick. Take extra-special care of your doggies on the Gila. One of the 2017 journalists counted 300 crossings!! I wasn't sure if that was actual or perceived, but either way it sounds wet and cold. Your Mom looks wonderful, moves well. Looking forward to your next post!! Peace always, Anne
Carol Fayad said…
I also agree with Eva and I would stick to using a tent and forget the summer cabin with an open floor plan....glad your feeling better and back on the trail again