CDT Links

HIKE, RESUPPLY, REPEAT

Wednesday, May 2


Let It Rain

It sprinkled off and on all night and continued for most of the day. It was windy and I rarely saw the sun. I saw a few hikers today, including one that started the same day as me.

As I climbed Burro Peak, I passed Jacks Peak, which is littered with communication towers. One must be used by Verizon, because I had the best signal I’ve ever had. (Can you hear me now?)

I Can Feel The POWER!

I left the official trail at mile 123.7 and descended 1 mile on an abandoned dirt road to Burro Mountain Homestead. It’s an interesting community made up mostly of motor home trailers used as permanent residences. It seemed like every trailer site had a quad for transportation and a tripod satellite dish. Everyone I talked to was very friendly and I was offered free camping, water, and beer! I passed on the camping and beer, but grabbed enough water for the next 19 miles to Silver City.

The View From Burro Peak

I hiked 7 miles from the homestead on Tyrone Road (dirt) and camped just short of Highway 90. The official route into Silver City also has a long highway road walk, but the alternative had less traffic and a much broader shoulder which is easy and safer for walking.

Silver City Here I Come!
Thursday, May 3

Today I hiked 12 miles into Silver City on Highway 90 for my second resupply. It was a cool windy morning and for the first mile or two I was startled every time a car whizzed by me. It had been a while since I had been this close to cars moving 70 plus miles an hour, and when you are used to life and 3 miles an hour, it is overwhelming. Walking into Silver City I felt great and was looking forward to a quick overnight resupply. I have a mental resupply checklist that I have refined over thousands of miles of hiking. Here are the main items on the list in their normal order:

Pick up my resupply box...usually at the Post Office. (Try to remember what is in it.)
Find a cheap motel with laundry facilities. (Tell them you're a hiker...there is usually a discount.)
Find the closest fast food restaurant and EAT! (Free soda refills are a must.)
Call or text Eva so she knows I am alive. (Sometimes I even call before eating because I love her so much.)
Shower (Glory!)
Pre-rinse socks. (It's hard to explain how dirty they are)
Start laundry. (Wearing rain pants and jacket)
Open resupply box eat the first candy bar that appears. (Please be a Snickers.)
Verify mileage to next resupply and pack food and supplies as needed (Ziplock baggies are my best friend.)
Move laundry to dryer (I love clean clothes.)
Update phone and upload new blog posts, images, media files to the internet. (PTL for WiFi.)
Eat and sleep until it's time to HIKE again!!!

For additional content, check out Flickr for images, YouTube for video, SoundCloud for audio, and the Postholer Map with my most recent location.

Thanks for following along!

Comments

Anonymous said…
The views you get to see hiking are so beautiful. Burro Peak is beautiful. I am 'seeing' things, albeit vicariously, of things I have never even seen or heard of before. God bless you as you continue your journey.

Denise Hughes
Eva Mauch said…
Shipping out another box today. And yes, there is a Snickers bar right on top. Happy hiking!