- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
| Trailhead at Hwy 12 between Doc Campbells and Pie Town |
Friday, May 18th
A day, from dawn to dusk, is the natural span of a walk. Thomas Clark
The long distance hiker motto is "Hike Your Own Hike." It's a reminder that long distance hiking is a very personal experience. No two hikers hike exactly the same. Hiking pace, meal times, food preferences, daily mileage, rest breaks, campsite preferences and hydration habits are different for every hiker. I have learned by experience that trying to keep up with faster hikers is not just frustrating, but can lead to injury. Over time, long distance hikers learn what works for them and aren't overly influenced by other hikers. I met a hiker from Germany, Flower Man, who is a good example of a hiker who has discovered what works for him, and he isn't concerned when other hikers have different habits or goals. I enjoyed hiking with him occasionally on the section between Pie Town and Grants and learned a lot about Germany along the way!
For me, hiking my own hike also means being flexible with my own schedule and expectations when trail conditions, weather, water sources, resupply stops and other variables require me to adjust my spreadsheet driven hiking plan. I am reminded of a quote from a previous CDT hiker:
“I had several plans for the day and my plans had plans. But really who can plan on the CDT? Plans on the CDT are for suckers.” She-ra Hikes As much as I enjoy having a plan, I am learning to be more flexible on thru-hikes which leads to a more enjoyable and hopefully more successful thru-hike.
I've spent two full days in Grants, New Mexico to allow my feet, ankles, and legs rest and relax. I have watched lots of CDT hikers come and go, but I didn't get overly anxious about the extra time I spent to make sure I was ready to hike on. I spent lots of time eating, channel surfing, writing, and even found a way to be useful. There was a guest computer in the motel lobby that I was interested in using, but it didn't work. The staff said it hadn't worked for years so...I offered to fix it. I'm happy to report it was functional within the hour, and I spent quite a few hours using an actual keyboard rather than me poking at my phone screen to write for my blog, including this post.
I will hike out bright and early on Saturday morning ready to meet Eva in only SEVEN days!!! She will fly into Albuquerque, New Mexico, rent a car, and come find me! I'm thinking I will have hiked at least to Cuba and possibly Ghost Ranch, an education and retreat center run by the Presbyterian Church. If possible, I will hitch hike in the direction of Albuquerque so she doesn't have a long drive to pick me up. It's gong to be GLORIOUS!
Thank you to everyone who is reading, commenting, and praying for me as I hike. I appreciate your support and encouragement. For additional content, check out Flickr for images, YouTube for video, SoundCloud for audio, and the Postholer Map with my most recent location.
Comments