- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
THANK YOU for reading my blog and especially for commenting! To date 82 people have subscribed and there have been over 4,200 blog views! It’s a real blessing to me to have your support and encouragement! I receive each comment as a personal email in addition to being able to see it on my blog. When Eva meets me in northern New Mexico, she is bringing a laptop and I hope to have the time to respond to some of your comments. Until then, just remember I am creating all this content on my iPhone...and be impressed!
Saturday, May 12
It’s been 6 days since I’ve showered and 10 days since I’ve washed my clothes. Martha’s famous words come to mind: “by now he stinketh.” I don’t think I have ever felt this dirty. I had a 16 mile dirt road walk into Pie Town and pounded it out by 12:40 PM. I dropped off my pack at the "Toaster House" (more Toaster House info tomorrow), and found my resupply box...thank you Eva! I then made a mad dash for the closest restaurant; a shower and laundry would have to wait. When I arrived at the cafe, I sat with a hiker I met at Doc Campbell’s Trading Post. He was finished with lunch and was ordering a slice of pie! I enjoyed a huge burger (with cheese and bacon of course), fries, a piece of pie and ice cream. I washed it all down with three huge glasses of iced tea; I was a happy camper!
After texting Eva and arranging a time to call in the evening, it was time for a shower and laundry. I shared a load of laundry with two other hikers, and got in line for a shower. By late afternoon I was clean and resting with an ice pack on my ankle. I spent the evening reading, writing, and chatting with other hikers. There were over 30 hikers at the Toaster House so I set up my tent in the backyard with hopes to move inside tomorrow.
Sunday, May 13
It’s Sunday, so it just seemed natural to take a zero day and rest. A large group of hikers left after breakfast so I moved my gear inside and have taken up residence on a 1980’s couch. But I’m getting ahead of myself...it’s time to explain where I am.
So, first of all, I'm in Pie Town, New Mexico: population 186. Here is a short video of what Pie Town is all about...
Pie town is also home to a radio telescope that is part of the Very Long Baseline Array. Here is a video of the telescope I shot in 2016.
The most popular location in Pie Town is the Toaster House. It is a private residence on a dirt road that doubles as the CDT. The owner, Nita, realized she lived on the CDT in the 80’s when she lived here with her children. She enjoyed meeting hikers and occasionally provided meals, laundry, showers and lodging. Eventually, after her children were grown, she decided to move. But instead of selling the Toaster House, she left it vacant for hikers to use as a “serve yourself hostel.” Nita visits often and uses donations to keep the utilities paid and the freezer stocked with frozen pizzas!
| I wonder why they call it the Toaster House? |
While resting in Pie Town, I took the opportunity to check out all three restaurants. (It seemed only fair.) At The Gathering Place, there were board games on the tables, including my favorite: cribbage. I made a comment about the cribbage game and asked if anyone played. The owner responded and soon we were playing a game while I ate my pie and ice cream. The locals who knew the owner seemed especially interested in watching and they seemed delighted that he had met his match. I'm happy to announce I am the new Pie Town Cribbage Champion of 2018! Where is my free pie?
| Two Happy Cribbage Players! |
For additional content, check out Flickr for images, YouTube for video, SoundCloud for audio, and the Postholer Map with my most recent location.Thanks for following along!
Comments
The old saying goes "No pain, No gain," but I say "No pain, Praise God, No Pain". Stay off that asphalt when possible or you will probably "know pain".
Don't push too hard, enjoy the walk and enjoy the new people you meet, without having to keep up with them!!!
So fun to see you at the toaster house! Eat another piece of Pie before you leave!