- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Saturday, May 19
I hiked out of Grants at 6:45 AM after a filling breakfast at Denny’s and making myself 32 ounces of ice tea in a Taco Bell soda cup. I drank it as I walked the 8 road miles to the Mt. Taylor trail head where there was a trashcan to dispose of the cup. I also hiked out with a Subway foot-long sandwich and a frozen 16 oz soda to keep it cold until dinner. This is hiking in style! I walked past a large women’s prison and these ominous sounding signs before reaching the trail head.
After the road walk and a brief moderate trail climb, I stood on top of a plateau and looked down on Grants and said goodbye for the third and final time. There was a bell and I rang it...because a bell’s vocation is to ring!
The miles seemed to go quickly and I had to force myself to stop and camp at 25 miles. I saw three day hikers and two mountain bike riders, but no CDT hikers and camped alone at 9,121 feet on the north shoulder of Mt. Taylor. It’s 2 miles to the next water and only six miles to where I left the trail last year. It was a good day on trail and I am excited to be hiking again after a good rest in Grants.
Sunday, May 20
Today, I stopped briefly at the location where the CDT crosses Forest Road 435 north of Mount Taylor, which is where I left the trail in 2017 with painful shin splints. I was evacuated by a forest service employee after a brief but intense storm that included lots of hail. It took a few hours for them to find me, but I had two other hikers with me, and was thankful for their encouragement and support. The forest service employee drove me back to Grants and after two days, I decided to return home.
I took off my pack and sat quietly in the same spot as last year and was overwhelmed with gratitude.
Thankful to be hiking the CDT again.
Thankful to my wife for allowing me a third attempt to thru-hike the CDT.
Thankful to my friends and family for their encouragement and support.
Thankful for good health and the strength as I continue north towards Canada!
As I cross this road and continue north to Cuba, I feel like I have passed a significant milestone. It's a small victory, but I'll take it! Like most previous sections of the CDT in New Mexico, water is scarce north of Grants. Today I hiked over 25 miles to reach a water source which was off trail and required extra effort after a very long day. There was a lot of dirt, gravel, and rocky road walking and the heat added to the required effort. I didn't see another hiker all day and listening to music and podcasts on my MP3 player really helped pass the time. In 3 days, I'll reach Cuba and hitch into Albuquerque to meet Eva! We’ll have 3 days together...I hope she likes my beard!
For additional content, check out Flickr for images, YouTube for video, SoundCloud for audio, and the Postholer Map with my most recent location.
Thanks for following along!
I hiked out of Grants at 6:45 AM after a filling breakfast at Denny’s and making myself 32 ounces of ice tea in a Taco Bell soda cup. I drank it as I walked the 8 road miles to the Mt. Taylor trail head where there was a trashcan to dispose of the cup. I also hiked out with a Subway foot-long sandwich and a frozen 16 oz soda to keep it cold until dinner. This is hiking in style! I walked past a large women’s prison and these ominous sounding signs before reaching the trail head.
After the road walk and a brief moderate trail climb, I stood on top of a plateau and looked down on Grants and said goodbye for the third and final time. There was a bell and I rang it...because a bell’s vocation is to ring!
The miles seemed to go quickly and I had to force myself to stop and camp at 25 miles. I saw three day hikers and two mountain bike riders, but no CDT hikers and camped alone at 9,121 feet on the north shoulder of Mt. Taylor. It’s 2 miles to the next water and only six miles to where I left the trail last year. It was a good day on trail and I am excited to be hiking again after a good rest in Grants.
Sunday, May 20
Today, I stopped briefly at the location where the CDT crosses Forest Road 435 north of Mount Taylor, which is where I left the trail in 2017 with painful shin splints. I was evacuated by a forest service employee after a brief but intense storm that included lots of hail. It took a few hours for them to find me, but I had two other hikers with me, and was thankful for their encouragement and support. The forest service employee drove me back to Grants and after two days, I decided to return home.
I took off my pack and sat quietly in the same spot as last year and was overwhelmed with gratitude.
Thankful to be hiking the CDT again.
Thankful to my wife for allowing me a third attempt to thru-hike the CDT.
Thankful to my friends and family for their encouragement and support.
Thankful for good health and the strength as I continue north towards Canada!
As I cross this road and continue north to Cuba, I feel like I have passed a significant milestone. It's a small victory, but I'll take it! Like most previous sections of the CDT in New Mexico, water is scarce north of Grants. Today I hiked over 25 miles to reach a water source which was off trail and required extra effort after a very long day. There was a lot of dirt, gravel, and rocky road walking and the heat added to the required effort. I didn't see another hiker all day and listening to music and podcasts on my MP3 player really helped pass the time. In 3 days, I'll reach Cuba and hitch into Albuquerque to meet Eva! We’ll have 3 days together...I hope she likes my beard!
For additional content, check out Flickr for images, YouTube for video, SoundCloud for audio, and the Postholer Map with my most recent location.
Thanks for following along!
Comments
Irma