- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
My father gave me the greatest gift anyone could give another person, he believed in me. - Jim Valvano
|
My father passed away in October of 2017, and I think about him often as I hike the CDT this year. I am thankful for the memories of the time he spent with me and the love for the outdoors he instilled in me. Here are a few of the memories I have of my father.
We went to the park to run, play, and feed the ducks. On the way home we got slurpees from 7-Eleven and would hold our heads and laugh when we got "brain freeze."
My dad put a tether-ball poll and basketball hoop in our driveway and would play with me after getting home from work.
As my brother and I got older we went off-road exploring in dad's Datsun pickup and would collect rocks for my rock polisher. My brother and I would fight over who got to sit in the middle and shift. More slurpees...
When we were old enough, dad took us camping and taught us how to set up a tent and make a fire. Be careful with that hatchet...you'll hurt yourself.
He took us day hiking and I learned the importance of going to the bathroom BEFORE the hike.
Dad learned to fish so he could teach us to fish. He taught my daughters to fish too.
He made space in the garage for me to have my own workshop and allowed me to use all his beautiful shiny tools.He taught me how to solder, fix toasters, and just about everything else.
He allowed me to take things apart and put them back together...and helped me find where the extra pieces go.
He bought me a motorcycle and taught me to ride. (Thanks mom for allowing the motorbikes...I know they scare you.)
He taught me how to run sound, mic a choir, cue up a sound track, and splice reel to reel tape.
He took me swimming, hunting, and scored a behind the scenes tour of Disneyland. (The happiest place on earth has some pretty cool technology behind the wizard's curtain.)
Dad worked hard, made home repairs, and took care of the yards. He taught me to do the same.
We spent the year before I could drive fixing up my first car...together. It was a 1963 VW Bug my grandfather gave me.
He taught me how to treat people with respect, to use my talents to serve God, and to be a good husband and father.
I watched him care for his parents in their old age and enjoy his retirement with my mom.
This is the father I remember and who still shapes my life today.
Thank you dad. I love you. I am blessed to remember you this Father's Day.
For additional content, check out Flickr for images, YouTube for video, SoundCloud for audio, and the Postholer Map with my most recent location.
Thanks for following along!
Comments
hope you're able to continue with the san juan national forest being closed.
Randy Mauch