CDT Links

HIKING WITH EVA

Let The Hiking Begin!

Friday, July 6

The last day Eva and I were together I got an itch to go hiking (hard to imagine, I know). I wanted Eva to experience a bit of the CDT so I suggested we hike a 14 mile section of the trail from Copper Mountain to Highway 9 near Breckenridge. 14 miles is a long hike for Eva, but this one included 3,107 feet of climbing and crossing a ridge at 12,490 feet. That’s A LOT of climbing at altitude! (I may have left out a few of these details when I suggested this hike.) We started hiking at 6:30 AM after a breakfast stop at McDonalds and got the BIG climb to the top of the ridge while it was cool. We even met a thru hiker named Story Time camped low on the ridge.

A Graph of the CLIMB!







Eva did a great job and we completed the hike without any problems and very little complaining in just under 8 hours. We took a shuttle bus back to our rental car and celebrated by having dinner with another thru hiker, 5 Star, and having ice cream with some friends, the Elmores, who are pastoring a church in Colorado.

Tomorrow I return to the trail and have a hiking partner, 5 Star. It was wonderful to spend time with Eva, and I am excited to be hiking again. We may not meet again until I finish this trail, so we tried to make the most of our week together.

For additional content, check out Flickr for images, YouTube for video, SoundCloud for audio, and the Postholer Map with my most recent location.

Thanks for following along!

Comments

Eva Mauch said…
Pretty sure that was the hardest hike I have ever done. I will be asking to see the GPS picture before agreeing to the hike next time. 😆
Unknown said…
sharing your experience, so cool. good for me, better for eva.
Jolene said…
I know you are so proud of Eva for accomplishing the most difficult hike of her life successfully! She and I have spoken since and she is so glad she could do that with you. I love the photos! You are an amazing couple! God bless you as you tackle the remaining trail. God speed and safety first Butterfingers!
Anonymous said…
I loved seeing all of the pics, especially the one of Eva sitting. So much joy and love on her face. And looking so beautiful on such an exerting hike. Good job Eva! So glad you got to see the Elmore's. Continued prayers for safe hiking.

Denise Hughes
Ben Brown said…
Great job, Eva! So glad you guys got to spend this time together!
Charlene Barcelos said…
You two are an awesome example for other couples! Way to go Eva and Loren! We are praying for you guys to complete your goals whatever they may be (we know what Loren's are at this time), for health, provision, strength, courage, direction, perfect weather, and protection and God's favor and blessings over your lives, and your daughters as well. We love you! John and Charlene
Unknown said…
Way to go Eva!! You are one strong woman!