- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Monday, June 25
I hiked out of Twin Lakes in the morning after gorging myself on the continental breakfast at my hotel. I got an early start, but I was feeling sluggish and moving slowly. I was sure Medic and Bourbon would catch me and they did during my lunch break. We hiked most of the afternoon together and camped next to a river at a nice campsite near a remote trail head. Mosquitoes were a problem. A little bit of DEET along with long sleeves and pants saved the day.
Tuesday, June 26
Happy Birthday to...us! I celebrated my birthday on trail today along with another hiker, Medic from Australia. What are the chances of hiking the CDT and meeting someone from another country who has the same birthday? I spent most of the day hiking alone and continued to feel sluggish. I think the warm weather added to my lethargy, but I just kept moving and eventually reached the campsite where we planned to spend the night. After soaking my feet in the river and eating dinner, I quickly retired to my tent. I knew I needed all the rest I could get for the climb we had tomorrow.
Wednesday, June 27
I slept well and woke feeling rested and ready for another day of hiking. I expected to have cell service today and Verizon didn't disappoint. I was able to make a call to my mother to wish her happy birthday and call Eva to discuss last minute plans for our meeting on Friday. The Continental Divide Trail passed right by a small ski resort called Copper Mountain and we celebrated with a brief stop for pizza! I hiked out of town with a belly full of pizza and soda and we camped next to a river along the bike path on I-70. Tomorrow will be a short day of hiking which will end with a bus ride to Breckenridge where I have a reservation at a hostel.
Thursday, June 28
After a short morning hike, I said goodbye to Bourbon and Medic and boarded the bus to Breckenridge. I'm spending the night at The Bivvi and have a shuttle scheduled to take me to Denver International Airport Friday morning. Eva and I be spending a week together, including the opportunity to attend church and give me a much needed rest.
Thanks for following along!
Comments