CDT Links

Chief Joseph Pass


August 27 & 28

The Goldstone fire north of Leadore closed 35 miles of the CDT. The forest service provided three alternates around the fire closure. The first two alternates added a significant number of miles and climbing to the hike, which didn't seem reasonable given I was in a race to reach Canada before winter. The third alternate was shorter than the official CDT, but required 90 miles of road walking on paved highways.

I left Leadore planning on the 90 mile road walk, but after the first day, my feet were aching and I couldn't imagine hiking another three days along the highway and feared injury if I did. I spent the night in Salmon, Idaho and considered my options and made the difficult decision to hitch the remaining miles to Chief Joseph Pass where I would rejoin the trail. It took three separate rides to reach the pass, but before hiking north, I needed to retrieve my resupply box in Darby, another 30 miles from the pass on Highway 93. 

I couldn't afford to abandon this box because it contained my winter gloves along with other essential items. So I put out my thumb again and hitched to Darby, retrieved my box, and was back in under three hours. This day especially I am grateful for the generosity of 6 strangers who helped me get from Salmon to Darby and back to Chief Joseph Pass. I hiked until dark to get in as many miles as I could since tomorrow I would leave the CDT AGAIN on another fire detour.

For additional content, check out Flickr for images, YouTube for video, SoundCloud for audio, and the Postholer Map with my most recent location.

Comments

Unknown said…
wow, you and 7-11 are close to each other and maybe could even cross paths again! he's leaving helena this morning mon sep3 hiking south planning stops in anaconda and wisdom before concluding in salmon. (he left the trail at salmon jul 29 to go to a family union. when he came back aug 12 it was to the canadian border and then to hike south--he thought there was less chance of snow this way.)
Ben Brown said…
That’s a lot of hitchhiking. Glad you’re making steady progress to the border. Godspeed!