- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
September 15-19
I left Augusta, Montana just 18 hours after arriving, but by now, my resupply routine is second nature and the resupply boxes of food and supplies that Eva sends me make the job fast and easy. I've only got one more resupply stop in East Glacier before reaching the border of Canada!
The deteriorating weather is on most hikers minds and different forecast sources produced different results and various levels of anxiety. It's clear the next two weeks are going to be cold and wet and there is a good possibility of snow, but it's hard to complain after so many weeks of good weather and with the end so close.
In spite of a general foreboding about the weather and the fading number of daylight hours, my overall mood is positive and hopeful. (As I write this post, I'm dry and warm inside my tent while it is pouring rain.) I'm grateful for a safe hike and having a hiking partner, 5 Star, for this final push to the border. It's unusual for two people to have a similar hiking pace and style AND who don't drive each other crazy! It looks like his parents will be arriving in Glacier National Park in time to provide some trail angel support, including the option to slack pack a few miles in the park. This could speed up my timeline for finishing as well as make the hiking more pleasant if the weather is bad.
Over the last few days, I have been overwhelmed with a sense of gratitude for my family, especially my wife, Eva. Without her encouragement and support I never could have completed this adventure. I'm so thankful for friends who have followed my adventure and encouraged me along the way. A special thanks to everyone who has spent time with Eva over the last 5 months...even helping her celebrate our wedding anniversary! I know your friendship has made my very long absence easier for her.
Speaking of long...my hair and beard are totally out of control! I trimmed them when I met Eva in Colorado, but since then, they have grown wild. I think it's affecting my ability to hitch hike, because I look so homely. I'll take a picture when I reach Canada to share with you, but I'm ready for a serious trim and shave! I've lost some weight, but nothing a few towers of onion rings and shakes at Red Robin can't fix.
I'll leave East Glacier on Friday, September 21 after slack packing 40 miles with 5 Star on Wednesday and Thursday. That leaves only 67 miles to Canada with an expected finish date of Monday, September 24. That's exactly 5 months from the date I started, Wednesday, April, 25.






Comments